Is it just me or did Thanksgiving arrive majorly quick this year? Don’t get me wrong, it’s one of my favourite holidays, but DAMN did it roll around fast! If you’re usually the one who hosts for your family and friends then you usually have your go-to menu items and the dishes that folks keep coming back for. However if you’re in the mood for a new addition, then you’ve come to the right place.
The team over at Le Creuset has been diligently working away, developing new recipes to make and serve in the brand’s famous cookware. A showstopper in its own right, Le Creuset cookware deserves a spot on your table and this Potato + Celery Root Gratin will undoubtedly have pride of place next to the star of the show – the turkey!
Here’s how to make Le Creuset’s Potato + Celery Root Gratin:
Cook time: 2+ hours
- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) 35% cooking cream
- 1 ½ tbsp (22.5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) thyme, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups (500 ml) grated Gruyère cheese
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 lb (1.3 kg) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into slices about 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick
- 2 ½ lb (1.1 kg) celery root, peeled and cut into slices about 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped chives (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a Saucier, whisk together the cream and mustard. Add the thyme, rosemary and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and cover with the lid. Let steep while you prepare the next steps.
- In a bowl, combine the Gruyère and Parmesan cheese.
- In a 4.9L Rectangular Roaster, neatly arrange one-quarter of the potato and celery root slices in rows, alternating the vegetables and letting the slices overlap. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with one-quarter of the cheese mixture. Repeat with 3 more layers of each of the remaining vegetables and cheese. Season each layer with salt and pepper.
- Strain the warm cream and pour evenly over the vegetables.
- Cover the Rectangular Roaster with foil and place on a large Sheet Pan .
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender when pierced with the tip of a knife and the top is golden.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chives, serve and enjoy!