If you’re looking to spoil mum this weekend for Mother’s Day, a knockout brunch is definitely in order. Of course, you could simplify and pick from the many restaurants in TO that offer a stellar brunch but she’ll be so impressed when you whip up something tasty at home. Just don’t leave her with the dishes after! A fabulous option for a delicious and simple brunch is to make Chef Lynn Crawford’s Ham & Cheddar Croissant Bake that’s satisfying and flavourful — plus you can add in whatever ingredients you have at home to make it your own.
Even though I’ve personally tried my hand at making my own puff pastry, Mother’s Day is not the time to experiment. Make it 10 times easier on yourself and source croissants from local bakeries and cafes. My go-to’s are Nadege and Blackbird Baking Co.
Here’s how to make Chef Lynn Crawford’s Ham & Cheddar Croissant Bake!
Ham and Cheddar Croissant Bake
By: Chef Lynn Crawford
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
This comforting one-dish recipe will surely be a family favourite. Made in minutes, it’s perfect for Easter or any time of the year, and easy to personalize with ingredients you have at home!
- 12 mini croissants
- 6 slices of ham, cut in half
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh or dried chives
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch (33 x 22.9 cm) baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice open and stuff each croissant with a slice of ham then arrange them in one layer in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together with the milk, mustard, chives, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the croissants. Gently press down on the croissants allowing them to absorb the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheddar and parmesan cheeses evenly on top.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil, then continue baking for another 10 minutes or until the croissants are golden on top.
- Serve warm & enjoy!
Recipe & Image: Chef Lynn Crawford, courtesy of Egg Farmers of Ontario